Scandinavian immigrants who were attracted to the area by the timber industry organized St. John in 1892. The services at that time were spoken in Danish
The original bell was donated at that time and to this day, chimes 26 times every Sunday morning as a call to worship. 10 times for the Ten Commandments, 12 times for the Disciples, 3 times for the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and 1 time for us.
The church has undergone changes in order to remain true to its reasons for existence: worship, education, service, and mission. We are a place that welcomes everyone.
We celebrate Holy Communion every Sunday, where everyone is welcome to the table.
St. John is served by retired Pastors and Lay Ministers and is a member of the North/West Lower Michigan Synod and the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.